Mental Health ServicesBook Now
What are Mental Health Services?
Psychology is the study of the human mind and its effect on behaviour.
Mental health services are a set of protocols that evaluate, treat and resolve mental illness, abnormal behaviour, emotional disturbance and psychosocial difficulties.
Why are Mental Health Services Needed?
Mental health services are necessary to treat complex issues such as:
- Confusion, anxiety, stress, depression
- Phobias, grief, loss, panic, personal illness
- Self-esteem, anger and irritability
- Identity or gender concerns
- Cognitive, sleep and mood disorders
- Eating, adjustment and impulse control disorders
- Personality or developmental disorders
What do Mental Health Services Involve?
Mental health services include all aspects of the human experience, from brain functions to social actions and from child development to care for the aged.
Typically, a psychology service may involve the following stages.
- Evaluation of psychological issues
- Clinical interviews (questionnaires)
- Direct examinations or observations
- Psychological diagnosis or testing
- Therapy and counselling or advice
Mental Health Services Offered
There are different types of mental health services that serve different purposes. They include but are not limited to:
- Individual or group psychotherapy: Helps the individual or group identify and explore mind or behavioural problems and develop strategies for overcoming them.
- Family therapy: Working with the family and meeting the various members of the family together to recommend solutions for psychological problems.
- Couples therapy: Deals with couples who have relationship problems and addresses the problems within the context of the relationship.
- Behavioural therapy: Focuses on learning and behaviour to change unhealthy behavioural patterns through a system of reward and punishment.
- Cognitive therapy: Emphasizes on the thoughts of an individual, helps recognize unhealthy thinking patterns and change wrong beliefs.
- Holistic or integrative therapy: Integrates multiple approaches depending on the needs of an individual and focuses on both thought and behaviour.
- Psychological testing: It can be a sole service or a part of mental assessment and diagnosis service and includes treatment as well.
- Stress management: Involves a variety of techniques including relaxation skills and psychotherapy but does not include medications as part of the service.
Generally, mental health services are likely to be followed by counselling taking into consideration an individual’s unique makeup including:
- Cognitive ability
- Cultural identities
- Current presentation
Benefits of Mental Health Services
Following are the potential benefits of mental health services:
- Ease and manage mental distress
- Mitigate or eliminate behavioural issues
- Strengthen emotional resilience
- Improve communication and leadership skills
- Motivate and help become more productive
- Boost memory and enhance the quality of life
- Improve mental, and in turn, physical wellbeing
- Ensure positive changes in life